Thu. Apr 18th, 2024
alert-–-nyu-doctor-died-after-disney-restaurant-in-orlando-‘ignored-her-nut-allergy’-and-fed-her-broccoli,-corn-fritters,-scallops-and-onion-rings-that-had-traces-of-allergen,-husband-claimsAlert – NYU doctor died after Disney restaurant in Orlando ‘ignored her nut allergy’ and fed her broccoli, corn fritters, scallops and onion rings that had traces of allergen, husband claims

A New York University doctor died after Disney restaurant staff ignored her nut allergy and served her contaminated food, her husband alleged in a new lawsuit.

Kanokporn Tangsuan, a 42-year-old medical doctor a NYU Langone in New York, and her family had dined at Raglan Road Irish Pub and Restaurant in Disney Springs on October 5, shortly before she had a deadly allergic reaction.

Jeffrey Piccolo, the doctor’s husband, filed a wrongful death lawsuit claiming Walt Disney Parks and Resorts was negligent and failed to properly train their staff about food allergies.

He is seeking in excess of $50,000 from Disney for mental pain and suffering, funeral expenses, medical expenses, loss of income and more.

Piccolo said his wife was highly allergic to dairy and nuts and the couple chose to eat at the pub because they believed Disney would have proper safeguards in place. 

Kanokporn Tangsuan (pictured), a medical doctor a NYU Langone in New York, died from an allergic reaction after eating at a Disney Springs restaurant

Kanokporn Tangsuan (pictured), a medical doctor a NYU Langone in New York, died from an allergic reaction after eating at a Disney Springs restaurant 

Tangsuan and her family had dined at Raglan Road Irish Pub and Restaurant (pictured) in Disney Springs on October 5, shortly before she had a deadly allergic reaction

Tangsuan and her family had dined at Raglan Road Irish Pub and Restaurant (pictured) in Disney Springs on October 5, shortly before she had a deadly allergic reaction

Jeffrey Piccolo (left), the doctor's husband, filed a wrongful death lawsuit claiming Walt Disney Parks and Resorts was negligent and failed to properly train their staff about food allergies

Jeffrey Piccolo (left), the doctor’s husband, filed a wrongful death lawsuit claiming Walt Disney Parks and Resorts was negligent and failed to properly train their staff about food allergies

The couple repeatedly asked their server about allergen free food, and they said the waiter even went to confirm with the chef.

‘The waiter unequivocally assured them that the food would be allergen free,’ the lawsuit said.  

Tangsuan ordered the following menu items:  ‘Sure I’m Frittered,’  ‘Scallop Forest,’ ‘The Shepherd Went Vegan,’ and ‘Onion Rings.’

According to the menu available on the pub’s website, ‘Sure I’m Frittered’ is a broccoli and corn fritter that costs $15.

‘Scallop Forest’ is a battered sea scallops dish served with a citrus lime dipping sauce and sweet chili jam that costs $29. ‘The Shepherd Went Vegan’ is faro barley, carrots, wild mushrooms, green onion, peas and rutabaga topped with olive oil mashed potato with a burnt onion gravy that costs $25.50 and a side of onion rings costs $11.

The bottom of the menu available online notes, ‘Cross-contamination may occur and thus we CAN NOT GUARANTEE that any dish we prepare will be completely free of gluten/allergens.’

Tangsuan ordered the following menu items: 'Sure I'm Frittered,' 'Scallop Forest,' 'The Shepherd Went Vegan,' and 'Onion Rings'

Tangsuan ordered the following menu items: ‘Sure I’m Frittered,’ ‘Scallop Forest,’ ‘The Shepherd Went Vegan,’ and ‘Onion Rings’

The couple repeatedly asked their server about allergen free food, and they said the waiter even went to confirm with the chef

The couple repeatedly asked their server about allergen free food, and they said the waiter even went to confirm with the chef

The lawsuit said the family ate their meal around 8 p.m. then at approximately 8:45 p.m. Tangsuan entered Planet Hollywood while suffering an acute allergic reaction.

She began having severe difficulty breathing and collapsed to the floor, 911 was called and the caller told the dispatcher Tangsuan had self-administered an epi-pen.

Piccolo and his mother Jackie had tried calling Tangsuan to meet back up with her, but a person answered her phone and told them she had been taken to the hospital.

She died at the hospital and the medical examiner investigation determined the cause of death was a result of anaphylaxis due to elevated levels of dairy and nut in her system.

The lawsuit said Disney filed the properly train its employees on food allergies, and the employees failed to properly warn Tangsuam about allergens in her food.