Tue. Feb 27th, 2024
alert-–-aussie-paramedic-nikki-jurcutz’s-urgent-warning-to-other-parents-as-she-shares-harrowing-vision-of-a-baby-in-a-cot-choking-on-its-dummyAlert – Aussie paramedic Nikki Jurcutz’s urgent warning to other parents as she shares harrowing vision of a baby in a cot choking on its dummy

An ex-paramedic with kids of her own has shared confronting footage of a seven-month-old baby choking on a dummy alone in its cot with nobody around. 

The baby can be seen in distress, choking for air in the middle of the night before spitting the pacifier out.

Now former paramedic Nikki Jurcutz is using the footage as a warning for others. 

Ms Jurcutz worked for eight years as a paramedic with Ambulance Victoria and now she is teaching newbie parents about hidden dangers with the help of her sister. 

Nine years ago the two launched Tiny Hearts Education which provides a baby first aid training course to educate parents on how to respond to emergency situations.

The disturbing footage has even made Ms Jurcutz reconsider how she would use dummies with her own baby. 

Nikki Jurcutz worked as a paramedic for eight years before launching her own safety training business with her sister called Tiny Hearts Education which provides baby first aid training 

The former paramedic and mother uploaded footage of a seven-month-old baby choking on a pacifier at midnight as a warning for other newbie parents 

She began her explanation with a ‘massive trigger warning’ before diving into the reality of why the issue needed to be discussed. 

‘I had never considered that this was even a possibility before,’ she said.

READ MORE: Hidden danger of silicone suction bowls

A mum has issued an urgent warning after she was left ‘shaking’ when her young daughter almost suffocated while using a common kids’ food bowl. 

Advertisement

‘I wasn’t going to share it but then I showed my husband and we began talking about what we would do to ensure our baby, who has a dummy, is safe. 

‘It triggered us to be more aware so I’m sharing in the hope it does the same for you.’

Nanny-cam footage shows the baby struggling to breathe and flailing its arms and legs with the dummy lodged in its throat, before it miraculously coughed it out on its own.

The baby then began loudly crying.

Since receiving the footage from the baby’s mother, Ms Jurcutz has shared more vital information on how to stay safe when using a dummy. 

‘I’m so glad this mum shared it with me and allowed me to share it with you because it has put the conversation about dummy safety at the front of a lot of our minds,’ she told 7News.

After spending a day looking into the matter, she highlighted several potential safety concerns and the strict rules that manufacturers have to stick to. 

Since receiving the nanny-cam footage from the baby’s mother, Ms Jurcutz researched safety issues surrounding dummies and found that the ACCC has guidelines for their production

She has now uploaded safety tips and warning to Tiny Hearts Education’s Instagram so that other parents can avoid facing similar situations 

The n Competition and Consumer Commission mandates that all dummies sold in must meet safety requirements which minimise their risk of danger.

These include it needing at least two ventilation holes in the shield to allow air to pass through in the event of choking, a ring to help a parent remove it if it does become lodged, and sizing requirements which help prevent it falling into mouths.

Other rules state that dummies cannot have sharp edges and that the teat must be smooth to prevent bacteria from entering which can onset the growth of mold.  

ACCC dummy requirements 

Ventilation holes: The shield must have two or more ventilation holes of a particular size to allow the baby to breathe if the dummy becomes lodged in the mouth.

Secure ring or handle: The ring or handle attached to the dummy must not detach from the shield or come apart to avoid being a choking hazard.

Sharp edges: All dummy components must be free from sharp edges that could hurt babies.

Shield size: The shield must be a minimum size to prevent it from fitting entirely into the baby’s mouth.

Teat smoothness: The teat must be smooth and prevent fluid from entering in or filling the teat, as bacteria can grow and cause infection.

Adult carer accessibility: The ring or handle must be gripped easily to enable an adult carer to remove the dummy if it becomes lodged in the baby’s mouth.

error: Content is protected !!