Mon. Jul 22nd, 2024
alert-–-corio-garden-shed-fire:-tragedy-as-four-year-old-boy-who-heroically-tried-to-save-his-three-siblings-from-blaze-dies-in-hospitalAlert – Corio garden shed fire: Tragedy as four-year-old boy who heroically tried to save his three siblings from blaze dies in hospital

A four-year-old boy who bravely tried to protect his baby siblings from a devastating shed fire has died in hospital.

Isaac McGregor was playing in the garden shed with his sisters Mavis, six, and Ashlynn, 18 months, and his three-year-old brother Saige at their family’s home in Corio, south-west of Melbourne, on Saturday morning when a couch caught fire.

His mother Jasmine Beck, 26, raced outside and attempted to move the couch and rescue all four children. 

She found Isaac, her eldest son, using his tiny body to shield his little brother and sister from the flames.

Sadly, Saige and Ashlynn died at the scene. Isaac and Mavis were raced to the Royal Children’s Hospital in critical condition, accompanied by their father Kane McGregor.

They were placed in intensive care with life-threatening burns covering about 80 per cent of their bodies.

On Wednesday, a close friend confirmed on GoFundMe that Isaac ‘grew his wings and reunited with his baby brother and sister’.

A Victoria Police spokeswoman confirmed the tragic news.

Isaac McGregor tried to protect his baby siblings from a devastating shed fire. He died in hospital on Wednesday

Isaac McGregor (right) tried to save the lives of his siblings Saige (left) and Ashlynn (centre)

Pictured: The shed where two children, Ashlynn and Saige, died on Sunday morning

‘He will always be remembered as the heroic young boy who gave his life trying to protect his siblings,’ the update read.

‘We thank everyone so much from the bottom of our hearts for all the donations and support. This community is absolutely incredible.’

His death came just hours after his father Mr McGregor told television reporters he ‘couldn’t be prouder’ of his eldest son.

‘She [Ms Beck] said once she finally got the couch moved and grabbed Mavis first, Isaac had the other two huddled under him so that they didn’t burn, like he stayed there until he died himself,’ he said on Tuesday.

‘They revived him and flew him [to Melbourne’s Royal Children’s Hospital]. 

‘I couldn’t be any prouder of him really.’

Jasmine Beck is pictured with her four children, Mavis, six, Isaac, five, Saige, three, and Ashlynn, 18 months. Three are now dead

Kane McGregor’s (pictured) youngest children, Saige, three, and Ashlynn, 18 months, died when a couch caught fire

The father, who was choking back tears, added: ‘What four-year-old huddles over their two little siblings?’ 

Mr McGregor was not at home at the time of the accident. 

‘As I was leaving, Isaac run up and gave me a cuddle and a kiss,’ he said.

‘An hour later I get the phone call… I haven’t even dealt with it yet, I’m just here with the other two.’

Victoria Police said on Monday afternoon that detectives from the Arson and Explosives Squad are investigating the incident. They are continuing to treat it as non-suspicious.

Police Inspector Emma Bartel said on Sunday that neighbours tried to rescue the children before emergency services arrived.

A report will be prepared for the coroner. 

READ MORE: Four-year-old boy’s brave act as devastating garden shed fire kills his baby siblings: Grieving dad breaks down in tears as he tells of son’s heroism 

error: Content is protected !!