Two men have been charged with bringing loaded firearms into the MCG during a packed AFL clash attended by almost 100,000 fans.
Cops allegedly discovered the loaded firearms after the men, aged 21 and 27, refused to leave the stadium for bad behaviour about 8.30pm on Thursday.
The incident has sparked questions as to how the men were able to bypass the stadium’s security to attend the match between Carlton and Collingwood.
The guns – one of which was loaded – were allegedly found hidden down the men’s pants while a 82,058-strong crowd watched the Magpies beat the Blues.
Both men have been charged with firearms offences, including possession of a loaded firearm, the ABC reports.
‘Police were called by security at the MCG to assist with two males refusing to leave the venue due to their behaviour,’ Victoria police said.
‘As a consequence, police have arrested two males and during a search it is alleged two firearms were located on each of these males.’
It is unclear how the men were able smuggle in the alleged hidden weapons and bypass the MCG’s security, which was updated in March last year.
In 2024, the MCG upgraded it’s security systems by deploying a new AI-based screening system in partnership with Evolv Technology – a pioneer in the security screening space.
Fans attending the MCG pass through one of the brand’s airport security-style Evolv Express security gates before scanning their tickets at the turnstiles – which have also been upgraded in the past year to incorporate ‘touchless’ technology.
According to a press release from the company issued in March, the scanners are designed to ‘differentiate between weapons and common metals people carry’.
The AI-based scanners are designed to scan large quantities of people entering the ground at any one time.
It’s understood approximately 3,500 fans are able to access the grounds through one scanner every hour.
Before the software’s introduction, stewards had to manually check visitors entering the ground for forbidden items.
It’s understood, physical security checks have been reduced with the introduction of the AI-based screening system.
Police said both men were on bail at the time.
The pair were remanded in custody and are set to face Melbourne’s Magistrates’ Court on Friday.
The 27-year-old man from Broadmeadows was charged with possessing an unregistered handgun, possessing ammunition without licence, altering the serial number of a firearm, possessing a loaded firearm, possessing a prohibited item (Major Event Act offence) and failing to appear on bail.
The 21-year-old man from Roxburgh Park was charged with being a person prohibited from possessing a firearm, possessing ammunition without licence, and committing an indictable offence whilst on bail.
No one was injured in the incident.