Sun. Apr 6th, 2025
alert-–-major-breakthrough-in-murder-of-underworld-figure-‘afghan-ali’-gunned-down-just-metres-from-crowds-on-melbourne’s-chapel-st-on-a-friday-nightAlert – Major breakthrough in murder of underworld figure ‘Afghan Ali’ gunned down just metres from crowds on Melbourne’s Chapel St on a Friday night

A man has been charged over the brazen cold-case assassination of an alleged underworld figure in a packed nightclub precinct.

Mohammed Keshtiar, known as ‘Afghan Ali’, had been walking with another man when he was gunned down by a drive-by shooter in a laneway off Melbourne’s popular Chapel Street precinct in South Yarra on August 4, 2023.

A 23-year-old Narre Warren man was arrested on Friday and charged with murder and conduct endangering life.

Mr Keshtiar and his associate had been walking on Almeida Crescent after a gym session when a stolen grey Prado approached and a passenger fired multiple shots in their direction, police said.

A person in dark clothing then got out of the car and fired several more rounds at Mr Keshtiar as he lay incapacitated on the ground.

The gunman made a quick getaway in the car, which was later found on fire in Endeavour Hills.

Passers-by attempted to help the 53-year-old but he died in hospital, while his associate was not hurt and fled the scene to safety.

A $1 million reward was offered in September for information to help solve the cold-case murder.

Homicide Squad Detective Inspector Dean Thomas at the time described the incident as a ‘deliberate, planned and organised assassination’ and a concerning display of public violence.

He said Mr Keshtiar was linked to a number of outlaw motorcycle gangs and associated with Middle Eastern-organised crime groups.

Detectives had been keeping an open mind over whether the killing was linked to a ongoing underworld war over the profits of illegal tobacco.

The accused is due to face Melbourne Magistrates Court on Friday.

error: Content is protected !!