Israel ‘is planning to throw Greta Thunberg in a terror cell’ as the environmental activist today launched a second Gaza-bound ‘Freedom Flotilla’, just weeks after she was detained in international waters by Israel.
Thunberg, 22, will launch the Global Sumud Flotilla from Barcelona with the aim of delivering aid to the people of Gaza, who have been pushed into famine by Israel’s retaliatory incursion into the Strip, along with Liam Cunningham, the Game of Thrones actor, and Ada Colau, the former mayor of Barcelona, among others.
Her first attempt to reach Gaza in June after setting off from Italy was thwarted by Israeli forces, who boarded the vessel in international waters and detained her. She and 11 passengers were taken to Israel, and given the choice to be deported or arrested.
Now, dozens of other ships are expected to set sail for Gaza from Tunisia and other ports in the Mediterranean Sea on September 4 to join the Global Sumud Flotilla, which aims to break the siege of the war-torn in city.
But Itamar Ben-Gvir, Israel’s national security minister, is planning to present Israeli Prime Minister Benjmin Netanyahu with a plan to detain the activists in harsh ‘terrorist-level’ conditions in the Ktzi’ot and Damon detention centres for females, according to Israel Hayom.
The plan also includes seizing dozens of vessels and using them to establish a ‘maritime force for police operations’.
Israel Hayom quoted individuals close to Ben-Gvir saying: ‘Following several weeks at Ktzi’ot and Damon, they’ll be sorry about the time they arrived here. We must eliminate their appetite for another attempt.’
Ahead of the departure from Barcelona port, Thunberg told Iranian Press TV that the flotillas aim to ‘deliver humanitarian aid and break Israel’s illegal siege on Gaza and open up a people’s humanitarian corridor’.
The activist said that more than 26,000 people signed up to join the mission to break the siege on Gaza.
She said: ‘This project is part of a global uprising of people standing up… when our governments fail to step up, the people will take their place, and that their atrocities and their complicity in the genocide in Gaza right now.. is not something that we can stand for.’
Previously, Thunberg and three others agreed to be removed from Israel, while the others were further held.
She said in a promotional video for her latest attempt to reach Gaza: ‘It should not have to be up to us. A mission like this should not have to exist.
‘It is the responsibility of countries, of our governments and elected officials to act to try to uphold international law, to prevent war crimes, to prevent genocide.
‘That is their legal duty to do. And they are failing to do so, thereby betraying Palestinians but also all of humanity.’
The latest attempt will see her and an unknown number of people attempt to reach Gaza, but a larger number of activists are expected.
Before setting off, she defended her actions against accusations of anti-Semetism, telling Sky News this weekend: ‘It is not antisemitic to say that we should not be bombing people, that one should not be living in occupation, that everyone should have the right to live in freedom and dignity, no matter who you are.’
The blockade has been in place since 2007 and boats attempting to cross in the past have been blocked by Israel.
In 2010 a Gaza-bound aid flotilla was raided by Israeli special forces, killing eight Turkish activists and an American-Turkish teenager.
Despite the dangers, Thunberg said she was more concerned by the ‘silence of the world’ about what is happening in the region.
She added: ‘I’m terrified to see that we seem to have lost all the humanity that we have, and there seems to be no compassion left in the world amongst the vast majority of people who are able to sit on the couch and watch the genocide unfold that I am terrified for.’
Thunberg claimed Israel’s continuation of the blockade was a violation of international law.
The newest Freedom Flotilla is unlikely to be more successful on its newest voyage, with Israeli officials prepared to uphold the blockade.
In a statement, the Israel Defence Forces (IDF) said: ‘The IDF enforces the security naval blockade on the Gaza Strip and is prepared for a wide range of scenarios, which it will act upon in accordance with the directives of the political echelon.’
It comes after Israel threatened to block Greta Thunberg’s ‘freedom flotilla’ from delivering aid to Gaza in June.
The climate activist and 11 pro-Palestine campaigners set sail on June 1 on a ship aimed at ‘breaking Israel’s siege’ of the territory.
The boat Madleen, operated by activist group Freedom Flotilla Coalition, departed from Catania, Italy, and is carrying a ‘symbolic’ amount of aid.
Videos posted to TikTok show the young activists smiling, swimming and filming social media content as the vessel makes its journey across the Mediterranean.
But the Israeli Army says it is ‘prepared’ to raid the ship, as it has done with previous freedom flotilla efforts.
‘For this case as well, we are prepared,’ IDF spokesman Brigadier General Effie Defrin said. ‘We have gained experience in recent years, and we will act accordingly.’
Just seven days later, Israel’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) shared an image of the Swedish climate change activist happily accepting some bread from an Israeli soldier, after she complained about them ‘kidnapping’ her hours before.
Thunberg made the claim in a pre-recorded Instagram video shared from on board the Madleen ‘freedom flotilla’, which intended to deliver aid to Palestine.
Israel’s MFA mocked the activist’s ‘selfie yacht’ carrying 12 ‘celebrity’ activists as they intercepted it, saying the ‘tiny amount of aid’ on board would be ‘transferred to Gaza through real humanitarian channels’.
‘The passengers are expected to return to their home countries,’ the government department wrote in a statement shared on X.
‘While Greta and others attempted to stage a media provocation whose sole purpose was to gain publicity — and which included less than a single truckload of aid — more than 1,200 aid trucks have entered Gaza from Israel within the past two weeks, and in addition, the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation has distributed close to 11 million meals directly to civilians in Gaza.
‘There are ways to deliver aid to the Gaza Strip — they do not involve Instagram selfies.
‘The tiny amount of aid that was on the yacht and not consumed by the “celebrities” will be transferred to Gaza through real humanitarian channels.’
A separate Freedom Flotilla ship was attacked in May by two alleged drones while sailing in international waters off the coast of Malta.