An Irish missionary has been freed in Haiti by kidnappers after spending almost a month in captivity following an attack by gunmen on an orphanage.
Gena Heraty – a director of a special needs program for children and adults at the Saint-Hélène orphanage in the commune of Kescoff – was released alongside seven others.
‘We are relieved beyond words. We are so deeply grateful to everyone,’ her family said in a statement.
‘We continue to hold Haiti in our hearts and hope for peace and safety for all those who are affected by the ongoing armed violence and insecurity there.’
Simon Harris, Ireland’s deputy prime minister, confirmed the release on his X account.
Haitian authorities have yet to comment.
Heraty, a three-year-old boy and six other employees were taken hostage during the attack on August 3 on the orphanage, which is run by Nos Petits Frères et Sœurs, an international charity with offices in Mexico and France.
No one claimed responsibility for the attack, but the area has been controlled by a gang federation known as ‘Viv Ansanm,’ which the United States this year designated a foreign terrorist organization.
Heraty, who has lived in Haiti since 1993, runs the orphanage which cares for up to 270 children.
Heraty is the latest foreign missionary to become the victim of kidnapping in Haiti.
In April 2021, two French priests were among 10 people kidnapped in Croix des Bouquets before they were released nearly three weeks later.
The same group behind that kidnapping, the ‘400 Mawazo’ gang, took a group of 17 American and Canadian missionaries hostage six months later.
Since the start of this year, Kenscoff has found itself in the crosshairs of the ‘Viv Ansanm’ (‘Living Together’) gang, which has already taken control of several other localities.
On Thursday, the U.S. government said that it is seeking U.N. authorization for a new ‘Gang Suppression Force’ to help tackle violence in Haiti.
Acting U.S. Ambassador Dorothy Shea made the announcement at a U.N. Security Council meeting, but she didn’t clarify if it would be different from the Kenya-led Multinational Security Support force now deployed.
Haiti has seen an escalating violence with gangs controlling most of the capital, Port-au-Prince.
The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights said at least 3,141 people have been killed in Haiti in the first half of this year, where the growing impact of gang violence threatens to further destabilize the nation.
An estimated 90 percent of the capital Port-au-Prince is now under control of criminal groups who are expanding attacks not only into surrounding areas but beyond into previously peaceful areas.
Gangs have grown in power since the assassination of President Jovenel Moïse in July 2021 and previously were estimated to control 85 percent of the capital.