Wed. Apr 17th, 2024
alert-–-man,-49,-dies-after-‘setting-himself-on-fire’-outside-merseyside-mcdonald’s-in-tragedy-cops-say-is-not-being-treated-as-suspiciousAlert – Man, 49, dies after ‘setting himself on fire’ outside Merseyside McDonald’s in tragedy cops say is not being treated as suspicious

A man has died after he ‘set himself on fire’ outside a McDonald’s in Merseyside as police have said the tragic incident is not being treated as suspicious.

Merseyside Police and fire crews were called to Queens Drive, in Walton, after reports for the concern for the safety of a man at around 5.50am yesterday.

At the scene they found a man, 49, who needed urgent medical attention for serious burns. He was taken to hospital in a critical condition.

A spokesperson for Merseyside Police has now confirmed he tragically died today, Friday, October 27. The death is not being treated as suspicious and next of kin have been informed. A file has been passed to the coroner.

McDonald’s spokesperson told : ‘We are extremely sad to hear this news. We are offering ongoing support to our restaurant team at this difficult time.’

Police outside the McDonalds in Walton, Liverpool on Thursday where a man ‘set himself on fire’ yesterday before he tragically died today

Emergency vehicles – including a 4×4 belonging to Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service – sit behind the cordon

In a statement, a spokesperson for Merseyside Police said: ‘We can sadly confirm that a man has died following an incident on Queens Drive, in Walton, yesterday, Thursday, October 26. At around 5.50am it was reported that a 49-year-old man needed urgent medical attention after sustaining burns injuries.

‘He was taken to hospital in a critical condition and has today, Friday, October 27, sadly passed away. The death is not being treated as suspicious and next of kin have been informed. A file has been passed to the coroner.’

A spokesperson for McDonald’s said yesterday: ‘We can confirm that an incident occurred earlier this morning at our Queen’s Drive restaurant. We are offering support to our restaurant team, and will assist the police in their enquiries.’ The restaurant has since reopened.

Eyewitnesses speaking to the Liverpool Echo yesterday said that the man ‘set himself on fire’.

A cordon was established outside the eatery yesterday, behind which police and Merseyside Fire and Rescue vehicles are parked.

Investigators were seen speaking to McDonald’s staff and taking photographs of the scene yesterday while the restaurant was closed.

Officers behind the cordon at the McDonalds where a man reportedly set himself on fire

Another area of the car park for the drive-through restaurant has been taped off, while a ‘scientific support unit’ forensics van is parked nearby. 

Officers are not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident. 

Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service told the Echo yesterday: ‘[We] attended an incident on Queens Drive, Walton, on the morning of Thursday 26th October. 

‘Crews were alerted at 5.34am and one fire engine was on scene to assist Merseyside Police at 5.40am. We left the scene at 06.49am.’

A spokesperson for the North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust confirmed mercy crews attended the incident yesterday, adding: ‘We took a man to hospital with serious injuries.’